The Battle Within
Did you leave me or did I runaway
I don’t know if it is the darkness of night or the light of the day
I am so confused and I feel mentally ill
My thoughts are racing and my mind won’t stay still
I blame myself for this mess of a life I feel I have made
I am scared, I am cold, I am sad, I am so afraid
I try to get out the words that will explain it all
But no one is listening, no one to call
Do I just lie here and pretend that I am okay
Do I get up and try to make it another day
Is there a name for this feeling or a magical pill?
Someone call a doctor I am losing my will
I hate myself, I hate you, I hate this life I am in
I am only fighting a losing battle, one I will never win
©Emmely Byrd 2013
If you or someone you know if suffering from depression or suicidal thoughts or just needs to talk about their thoughts about having a mental health issue, please share the links below:
Some of the reputable 24-hour mental health hotlines:
- Mental Health America Hotline: Text MHA to 741741. Mental Health America is a nationwide organization that provides assistance through this text line. You will be linked to someone who can guide you through a crisis or just provide information.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255. Crisis intervention and free emotional support are available, which is helpful when you need confidential assistance during a time of emotional distress for you or a loved one. The helpline is open 24/7, and a live online chat is available as well.
- Crisis Text Line: Text CONNECT to 741741. Specialized crisis counselors are just a text message away on this free, confidential 24-hour support line. To further protect your privacy, these messages do not appear on a phone bill. The text line also provides services and support if you are upset, scared, hurt, frustrated, or distressed.
- The Samaritans: 1-212-673-3000. This is a New York–based organization operates a 24-hour crisis hotline for anyone in the area. Even if you’re not in crisis but feel like you need emotional support, this hotline can help.
- Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255. Text a message to 838255. Operated by the Department of Veterans Affairs, these services aid veterans and their families who may be in crisis by connecting them with VA responders.
- https://www.nami.org/find-support/nami-helpline 1-800-950-NAMI (6264) or firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Alliance on Mental Illness. (n.d.). Mental Health by the Numbers.
Leave a Reply